There may be a lot of questions in your mind when you consider the option of advertising through TV. Afterall the stakes are very high for you as a manager and for the company. Companies have been using TV for advertising because of its reach which could be hundreds of millions. What is TRP? What is GRP? Book TV Ad Campaign What is a TV Advertisement? How Effective is a TV Ad? Different Ways To Advertise on TV!
TV ad campaigns are usually run in synergy with ads on other mediums such as radio, print, and digital. Some big sporting events like IPL and Champions league are favorites of the marketers to capture the audience. So when stakes are so high and result so fruitful in the form of increased sales, increased market share, improved brand image, and increase in brand equity, taking your campaign on TV requires a good amount of planning and spotless execution. So here are few things to keep in mind before going for a TV ad campaign.
- Marketers must clearly define what value they are going to create and deliver for the customers.
They shouldn’t just see the company as a manufacturer of products and services but as an entity that provides solutions and value to the consumer. Television Ad campaigns should be produced and designed accordingly. For example, LG shouldn’t see itself as a manufacturer of TVs and ACs but as someone who converts a house into a home with their equipment. It should be decided whether the Ad Campaign on TV is for a specific brand or an umbrella brand. For example, Nestle has a wide range of products in its portfolio. It also has some famous brands like Maggi and Kitkat. So an Ad Campaign on TV designed just for Maggi will be different from a campaign designed for the whole of Nestle including their other products.
- Next marketers should have thorough knowledge about their existing and potential customers. Ads must be specifically created keeping in mind the target audience. Marketing goals should be clear from the beginning, whether brands want to attract new customers or retain the existing ones. To cater to the target audience in an efficient way, STP – Segmentation, Targeting, and Positioning – process must be undertaken. This will also help keep the budget under the leash. To attract new customers, ads must be informative in nature and should be focussed on generating brand awareness. On the other hand, to retain the customers, ads must reinforce brand image. If the product solves some new problem then it must be communicated through the ad.
- While designing a campaign, competitors must also be kept in mind. Both direct and indirect competitors will have an effect on our campaigns. Brands must ensure that their ads are distinct from those of the competition. The number of ads shown on TV must also be somewhat similar to that of the competitors. It must be explicitly clear what value the competitor is providing and the campaign must be altered accordingly. Even the budget for the campaign must be on the same lines as that of the other party.
- With whom the company collaborates, greatly influences the TV ad campaign. Hiring and associating with a celebrity for them to endorse the brand is a prime example of the collaboration. Collaborators must be chosen carefully, as they can be very expensive and will have a huge impact on the image of the brand. These celebrities can be very effective in generating sales and increasing market shares for companies. Some prime examples of celebrities endorsing brands are PV Sindhu for Moov, Virat Kohli for Xiaomi and Aishwarya Rai for L’oreal Paris. Companies collaborate with other companies to increase the value of their own offerings. For example, Airtel offers the free subscription of Amazon Prime videos to their postpaid subscribers, and the same is communicated through their ad campaigns.
- Finally, the legal, political, and economic environment of the region that the campaign is being designed for has to be understood properly. Ads must not be against the broadcast rules of the country and should not hurt the religious and cultural sentiments of the people.
By keeping these things in mind and designing the TV ad campaign accordingly, brands will be able to enjoy the forthcoming success and people might remember the iconic ad campaigns for decades to come.